Connecting to the OpenVPN on Windows
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. Once you are connected to the VPN, your internet traffic will be directed through PSU’s VPN hardware, and it will appear that you are connected physically to PSU’s network. This will allow you to use private MCECS services that require a connection to the PSU network, like Remote Desktop and VNC.
CECS vs CECS Full Tunnel
We offer two configuration options for OpenVPN. The Full Tunnel will send all of your network communication, eg going to google.com, through MCECS.
However the CECS or “Split Tunnel” configuration will only be used to connect to MCECS machines and resources, like the terminal server or print server.
- Navigate to https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ (opens in new tab).
- Do not click the “Get OpenVPN” button on the top right of the page. This will bring you to commercial advertisements for OpenVPN that are irrelevant.
- Instead, scroll down until you see a box containing file descriptions on the left, “GnuPG Signature” in the center, and orange buttons on the right.
- Download the appropriate OpenVPN client by clicking the button on the row containing the version of Windows you are running.
- Download The CAT’s OpenVPN configuration ZIP file.
- Extract the contents of that ZIP file to the directory C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config (or to the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config depending on where OpenVPN is installed).
- If the OpenVPN tray icon (computer with a lock) does not appear, double-click on the ‘OpenVPN GUI’ shortcut on your desktop.
- Right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the tray (next to the clock) and select ‘cecs’ > ‘Connect’.
- Enter your MCECS username and password and press OK to connect.
When running OpenVPN, it may be required to right-click on the OpenVPN GUI shortcut and select ‘Run As Administrator‘ in order for the connection to work correctly.
This step should not be required with the newer versions of OpenVPN.
Additionally a reboot after installing the OpenVPN may solve issues.
Full Tunnel OpenVPN
The default VPN configuration is split tunnel, where only data destined for PSU IP space is tunneled through the VPN. If you need to tunnel all traffic through the VPN follow the above instructions except Right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the tray (next to the clock) and select ‘cecs_full_tunnel’ > ‘Connect’