Mapping A Windows Network Drive
In Windows, mapping a network drive is a method of assigning a convenient drive letter (such as N:) to a network location (such as \\thoth\home01\username).
TheCAT provides some pre-defined mapped drives on supported Windows machines for your convenience. You can also add your own drive-mappings to your MCECS Windows environment, or to other Windows machines that you use.
Note: If you attempting to connect to a location on a MCECS server and are not using a CAT-supported desktop, you may need to connect to the VPN first.
- In Windows Vista/7: Click on the ‘Map network drive’ button near the top of the window.
- In Windows 10: From the Desktop, double-click on “This PC”, click on the “Computer” tab in the upper left corner, click on “Map Network Drive”.
- In the ‘Drive’ drop-down box, choose any unused drive-letter to assign to this network location.
- Enter the path of the network location that you want to connect to. (Usually, this will be in the form \\server\share\folder).
- If you are not using a CAT-supported Windows machine, click on ‘Connect using different credentials.’ Enter CECS\username for the username (inserting your CECS Windows username) then enter your CECS Windows password.
- Check ‘Reconnect at logon’ to make the connection persist through logouts and reboots.
- Click on the “Finish” button.
All done! You are now able to access the location by going to the drive letter that you mapped.
Warning: Please do not alter or remove the default drive mappings provided by the CAT on our supported desktops. This may make you unable to use certain software.
Commonly mapped network locations
A Stash: \\stash.cecs.pdx.edu\name_of_stash
N: (Your Windows Home Directory) Drive:
To find the path to your home directory, browse to https://intranet.cecs.pdx.edu and log in with your CECS username and password. The path is displayed underneath your Windows Quota (not the Windows Profile Quota).
Z: (Department share) Drive:
Replace name_of_department with the name of your share. If you do not know the name of the share, and it is not the name of the department, you can navigate to \\winhome.cecs.pdx.edu\Dept and find the appropriate folder.
S: (Splatnix) Drive:
See the new home directory structure.
U: (Unix) Drive:
\\unix.cecs.pdx.edu\solaris (This is deprecated, the S drive location is more convenient.)