The following is a table of commonly used Linux systems that can be remotely accessed by MCECS users. Be aware of the following attributes:
- Certain systems are restricted by departments. You can tell which department can access a system by the second component of the hostname.
- linux.cecs.pdx.edu – All MCECS users
- linux.cs.pdx.edu – CS users only
- mo.ece.pdx.edu – ECE users only
- These systems will be running 1 of 2 possible Linux distributions (as of Fall 2020):
- Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa
- Some systems require you to be on the VPN in order to access.
- Some hostnames are actually proxies for either one or several Linux systems.
When a hostname is an HA Proxy, that means it is an alias for multiple machines. This is done for load balancing purposes.
The proxy will attempt to land you on the machine you connected with previously, but this is not guaranteed. For processes that require connecting multiple times with the same machine, such as VNC, it is recommended that you DO NOT use an HA Proxy hostname.
In the second table below, you can find a list of commands to see the systems associated with an HA Proxy hostname.
|Hostname||Which Departments Can Use||VPN Required||Linux Distro||Note|
|linux.cecs.pdx.edu||All MCECS||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa||HA Proxy for rita.cecs.pdx.edu and ruby.cecs.pdx.edu|
|rita.cecs.pdx.edu||All MCECS||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|ruby.cecs.pdx.edu||All MCECS||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|intellab-linux.cecs.pdx.edu||All MCECS||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa||HA Proxy for Linux machines in FAB 55-17|
|linux.cs.pdx.edu||CS only||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa||Proxy for ada.cs.pdx.edu|
|ada.cs.pdx.edu||CS only||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|babbage.cs.pdx.edu||CS only||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa|
|linuxlab.cs.pdx.edu||CS only||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa||HA Proxy for Penguin Lab and Particle Lab machines|
|particlelab.cs.pdx.edu||CS only||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa||HA Proxy for Particle Lab machines in FAB 88-09|
|penguinlab.cs.pdx.edu||CS only||No||Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa||HA Proxy for Penguin Lab machines in FAB 88-10|
|centos7.ece.pdx.edu||ECE only||Yes||CentOS 7||HA Proxy for mo.ece.pdx.edu and auto.ece.pdx.edu
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR VNC
|mo.ece.pdx.edu||ECE only||Yes||CentOS 7|
|auto.ece.pdx.edu||ECE only||Yes||CentOS 7|
To find a list of machines associated with an HA Proxy, run the following command while logged in to a MCECS Linux system.
|HA Proxy hostname||Command for list of machines|
Remote Connection to MCECS Linux systems
- To connect via SSH, read our guides on connecting with a terminal application:
- To connect via VNC and use a graphical session, read our guides on VNC:
- To transfers files from your MCECS Linux account, read our guides on using SFTP:
- Windows – https://cat.pdx.edu/platforms/windows/remote-access/using-sftp-for-remote-file-transfer-from-windows/
- Mac – https://cat.pdx.edu/platforms/mac/remote-access/using-sftp-for-remote-file-transfer-macos/
- Linux via command line – https://cat.pdx.edu/platforms/linux/remote-access/using-sftp-for-remote-file-transfer-from-command-line/
- You can read an in-depth guide on how your MCECS Linux file directory is structured with the following link: